20 December 2006

Holiday meme!

Borrowed from Knitting Iris.

1. Egg Nog or Hot Chocolate? Hot Chocolate. Mad props if it's made with real chocolate & cream, but mostly I like the cheap-o instant mixes with the suspicious little marshmallows. I really do like those a lot.

2. Does Santa wrap presents or just set them under the tree? Always wrapped. With amusing names on the tags.

3. Colored lights on tree/house or white? Colored! I personally appreciate people who can manage that wonderfully classy white/gold/red/green thing at the holidays, but I know I'm incapable. I loves me a gaudy tree, and I loves me some tinsel. It is sad that having a cat has thus far kept my tree tinsel-less, but I'd rather have no tinsel than a trip to the vet.

4. Do you hang mistletoe? If there were mistletoe here, we'd really never get anything done. And the few people who come to the Little Blue House probably don't want anyone here kissing them.

5. When do you put your decorations up? The minute the semester is over. This year, it was December 12. I would like to decorate the day after Thanksgiving, but life has yet to cooperate for that.

6. What is your favorite holiday dish? Peanut Blossoms.

7. Favorite Holiday memory as a child? This was a recurring one: on Christmas Eve, after the church candlelight service, we'd drive around and look at the lights. As it got later in the evening, my dad would point out one of those blinking red radio tower lights, and Mom would say it was Rudolph, and we'd rush home and Mark and I would go right to sleep.

8 . When and how did you learn the truth about Santa? What do you mean, "the truth?" Hardcore believer. For life.

9. Do you open a gift on Christmas Eve? Nopers. Though, sometimes, we're forced to have one side of the family's Christmas celebration the Saturday before Christmas (sometimes that's very early, too, or after, depending).

10. How do you decorate your Christmas Tree? Loudly. Our ornaments are a mish-mash of colorful glass balls I got at Pier One and castaways from both my parents & Bill's. At least 3 strings of lights. And always a star on top.

11. Snow! Love it or Dread it? Both, sometimes. It's harder to be really excited about snow when you have to drive in it and school's never cancelled.

12. Can you ice skate? You bet your blades I can.

13. Do you remember your favorite gift? This is going to sound silly, but the gifts I have loved best have always been stuffed animals. I think Cheetah is my favoritest ever, though Franco & Wolf are high up. And now that I have Sinclair, I can't help but love him. But the stuffed animals--they're the best.

14. What's your favorite thing(s) about the holidays? The lights. I love the times when you can just lie on the couch, no lights but the tree lights, and be snug for a while. I like to look at the tree and unfocus my eyes so that everything glitters in double. And I do love carols. Can't sing, but I still like to try.

15. What is your favorite holiday dessert? Peanut Blossoms. And chocolate covered pretzels from Wolfgang Candy.

16. What is your favorite holiday tradition? Our Christmas Eve dinner (the only time of year that there's cloth and candles on the Wendt table) and my mom's devious plans to make us hunt though half the county to get to our presents.

17. What tops your tree? A star. Always a star.

18. Which do you prefer, giving or receiving? I like the giving part. I like picking out gifts that I know people will like, and so I wish (every year) that I had started my shopping earlier.

19. What is your favorite Christmas song? "Little Drummer Boy" (yes, Laura, even if it is the longest song ever) and "It Came Upon a Midnight Clear"

20. What is your favorite holiday book? Dickens' A Cricket on the Hearth. Sentimental tripe, and I love it.

21. Candy canes yuck or yum? I can eat one candy cane a year. I generally get bored with hard candy. I like the munching part.

21. What's number one on your Christmas list this year? Aside from the peace on earth & goodwill to all, there was Sinclair, and he's got. Now I'd like for Bill and I to be able to run this familial holiday gamut (you know, a dozen places in 48 hours again) without feeling like it's a gamut. I'd like to enjoy the holiday instead of being stressed out by it.

No comments: