05 January 2007

Vigdis: I haven't forgotten you


I know it seems that Vigdis, in all of its snuggly, cabley glory, seems forgotten over there in the sidebar. Though I haven't written much about that project, I assure you, it isn't true. In fact, we're approaching the end. See? From left to right, it's sleeve island (1/2 to go!), the modified front panels (converted from pullover to jacket status), and the back. The difficult part will be figuring out the collar. Since I did something with the front that the pattern didn't call for, I'm not quite sure how to manage finishing up the front, but I suppose I'll figure it out. Cobbled-together is my specialty. I do have a mis-crossed cable on the right front to fix, which I'll do with Stephanie's "Desperate Measures" fix. I'm not fussy enough to drop the necessary ten stitches and undo a few feet of knitting and then manage to get them back up to the rest of the stitches without disaster.

Have some close-ups. The yarn is not as Dijon-mustard colored as my camera thinks. (Until the sun comes out in Binghamton--maybe for a week in July--I will have no naturally lit photos. I live in a house so cave-like
in its lack of natural light that I'm tempted to raise mushrooms in my living room. My husband's obsession with Batman takes on a whole new tenor.) It's actually a very pleasant camel color. Below is my modified front. I'll whack a button band on it as soon as I figure out that collar. It will be my first button band--I doubt I will so much "whack" it on as I will fret and pick up stitches like it's my first surgery, knit a button band that is too stretched, frog it, knit a button band that turns out to be a ruffle, frog that, and hopefully finally do something that looks a little less deformed.

The last thing that's on my mind with this project is the delicate wire of enough yarn/not enough yarn that I think I'm walking. I know I'll get my second sleeve out of its ball of yarn, but I don't know if I'll get my collar and button band out of what's left. The beauty of the situation is that Sirdar has discontinued their Nova Super Chunky line (as far as my research can tell me), and when I bought my yarn, it was in the close-out bin at Carodan Farms. They have an excellent close-out/discontinued bin. I did buy one more ball than the yardage indicated I would need, but this could get interesting. If anyone has a spare ball of color 890, name your price. And if that yarn has gone to the big basket in the sky, guess who's making a button band in handspun?


No comments: