27 May 2008

Alas and alack.

I had hoped to have a F.O. to show you here, as I did, indeed, finish Quant, but I frogged it four minutes after my last stitch. I suppose I could have taken a picture of how silly it looked on my head, so I could at least amuse you, ne? But, I didn't. But let me tell you about it.

See, I used a skein of Manos de Uruguay in a lovely, lovely variegated navy/taupe colorway and had just enough yarn to follow the pattern swimmingly. I even went to the trouble of hunting up a modification so that the ends would be symmetrical, and I mastered the knack of entrelac. Truly, entrelac is Good Knitting--interesting enough for your fingers, but easily memorized! It was knitting I could do while copy-editing. In short, it was ideal--a very good pattern, enjoyable new knitting-learning, beautiful yarn--so why'd it end up wrapped in a ball again?

Because my head ain't meant for headbands or anything like them. AND I lived in some awesome denial because the Manos is a little more robust than the given pattern yarn and it turned out about 2 inches too wide. Which meant it did not lovingly cup my head, but rather stuck out in the back like a stunted kerchief. When I tried it on, all I could think of was the end of Lilo & Stitch, when Stitch puts Nani's bikini on his head like an aviator's cap.

In retrospect, though, I should have kept it, made it a little bit longer, and had myself a very innovative obi belt. That would have been wicked cool. I mean, I'd never wear it, because the only kimono-like thing I own is cherry-red, but at least it'd have a purpose. But that's an idea for the future, next time I have some really sturdy yarn in a color I could possibly use for belt action, I think it'd be pretty hot.

I think, too, the Manos might have color changes that are slightly too brief for the entrelac. I mean, it looked really cool, but it didn't give those isolated jewel-like diamonds that I lusted after on the pattern page. Hm. Anyway.

Now let's have a wee bitty whinge.

I'm suffering from acrylicus cablitis. By which I mean that--for whatever reason--the last 3 fingers of my left hand cramp like a mother when I do more than four rows on a cabled scarf I'm doing. Anyone have this problem? I don't remember it being an issue back in December when I started this bad boy, but last night, sweet Christmas, I thought I was going to have to amputate. I desperately want to finish this scarf because, as I said, I've been working on it since December, the friend it was for just had a birthday, and I feel a little bad about that.

But, can't knit with crippled fingers, so I switched to my Ademas (which has been in progress since New Year's Eve, 2006--I'm just now approaching my 3rd-of-twelve pattern repeat. How ridiculous I am. That didn't hurt my hands at all, though I wish I had some Inox 5s instead of the 5s I'm using now (I don't even know what they are) because they feel really clumsy in my hands. Maybe I'll snatch a pair of those at some point, when I go on the hunt for the perfect linen yarn (planning ot make some wedding gifts, if I can find the right colors).

I do so like knitting lace, despite the fact that it takes for-damn-ever. I queued up a new pattern on Ravelry for some fiber that isn't spun yet. (Funny how that works.)

Now I'm off to make a big damn mess of my kitchen. It's a baking-type day!

1 comment:

koonsmother said...

You could have made the boy model the headband thingie for the web crowd. *grin*