05 August 2008

August 5th Bento: A Bit Continental, Really

No rice today. *gasp!*

Top tier: semi-bruschetta topping (red tomato, sunsugar tomato, mozzarella cubes, fresh basil & oregano, olive oil, balsamic vinegar, smidge of garlic); manchego cheese cubes, dried figs, two capocollo rosettes, kiwi.

Bottom tier: Carrots, cucumber slices, broccoli, blueberries, strawberries.

Lid: two Milano cookies

Not pictured: two slices of toast for the bruschetta, cut into wee triangles. That is my one sadness regarding the bento: as a Pennsylvania child, bread is the stuff of life, and it is very hard to actually put in the bento, because it is not very dense. A third of a sandwich takes up almost a whole tier, and that's a bit problematic if you need a heavy-duty lunch.

I feel a little bit like I'm cheating when I skip the rice. I don't know why. Probably because a bento like this doesn't really expand my culinary palate at all, because it's really all old favorites (well, the figs are a new thing, and the manchego, and the capocollo, but I like all other dried fruit, cheese is always good, and it's a salty cured pork, so those three things are all like all the other stuff I enjoy). The contents, though, are still mildly exciting to me because the tomatoes and the herbs in the bruschetta mix are homegrown! Our tomato plants have finally begun to give fruit, and when the sunsugar plant really gets going, we'll be up to our ears in quarter-sized sun-colored tomatoes. I can't wait!

No comments: