16 August 2008

Dutch kids do it in the morning

Baking, that is. You see, my in-laws are coming to visit today, and, given my Pennsylvania Dutch heritage, it is anathema to consider having guests without having some kind of baked good to offer. (Despite the fact that we've already got a brunch at IHOP and dinner at the Joey's Pizzeria--best pizza in the Southern Tier--planned out. There's definitely a mid-afternoon snack gap in there!) However, last night, I was completely knackered. The zoo took the opportunity to wring the absolute last bit of "gainful employment" from me this week--emptying an exhibit of its dirt and refilling it with sand--so I had many meaningful hours with a shovel and wheelbarrow in the past three days. My elbows feel like jell-o. So, last night, because it was also, "OMG, CLEAN YOUR HOUSE" flight-of-the-bumblebee-style, there was no baking. So what could I make this morning (before 10 a.m.) with what I had on hand?

Turnovers. Oh, puff pastry, how I love thee.

I had the most gorgeous peaches from the Frog Pond (last week's trip) on hand, and a few black raspberries in the freezer, as well as a package of frozen puff pastry. So:

Makes 9 small turnovers

1/2 peach, peeled and cut into small chunks
1/2 cup raspberries
2 Tbsp. flour
3 Tbsp. sugar
1 sheet thawed puff pastry
1 egg, beaten with 1 Tbsp. water, for brushing the tops
2 Tbsp. sugar for dusting

Heat your oven to 375F. Mix the first four ingredients in a bowl and set to the side. Roll your thawed puff pastry out a bit, so that you can cut (roughly) 9 3-inch squares from it (this may require a little dusting of flour to keep things from sticking). Put about 1 Tbsp. of the fruit filling in the center of each square, and brush two of the edges with a bit of egg wash. Fold the opposite edges over and seal with a fork. Repeat with all of your squares, and then brush tops with egg wash and sprinkle generously with sugar. If you have demerara sugar, this would be an excellent place for it, or coarse decorating sugar. (Which I have, and completely forgot to use. Alas.)

Bake for about 20 minutes, or until puffed up and golden brown and delicious. (Who watches a lot of Alton Brown? Oh, me.) Eat these on the same day as they were made, as puff pastry is a bit delicate and soaks up humidity like mad.

I had some leftover filling, and tried to make some custard cups, but that was a teensy disaster that doesn't merit a photo or post just yet.

And to follow up from yesterday: noriben = my new favorite bento food. I think next time I will have to use smaller bits of nori, though, as separating bite-size bits from the whole was a bit of a challenge, because I didn't shred my seaweed small enough.

2 comments:

laytonwoman3rd said...

Sooo....how did the turnovers go over? I'll bet you didn't have to worry about humidity spoiling the leftovers. *drool*

Kevin said...

Those turnovers look good.